Curricular Title: Doctor of Philosophy Program in Earth System Science
Degree Title: Doctor of Philosophy (Earth System Science)
Abbreviation: Ph.D. (Earth System Science)
The Doctor of Philosophy Program in Earth System Science aims to produce graduates, who are fully equipped with high-level knowledge and research skills in the field of Earth System Science, and can create new knowledge and integrate interdisciplinary knowledge for preventing and solving natural disaster problems and managing natural resources and environment. Global change has occurred rapidly. Natural resources and environment have been degraded quickly. Natural disasters become more intense and occur more often globally leading to invaluable economic, environmental, and social losses. Environmental and natural disaster problems are major causes that threaten global development in many aspects. Understanding these issues requires the integration of knowledge across many disciplines. Developing new knowledge and technologies that will help solve these problems are the goals of this curriculum.
1. The applicant must hold
a bachelor’s degree within the 1st quartile or
a graduate certificate with cumulative GPA not less than 3.75 or
a graduate diploma with cumulative GPA not less than 3.50 or
a master’s degree with cumulative GPA not less than 3.50 or
must have a senior project or research study with very good quality.
All above must be obtained from universities approved by the PSU Interdisciplinary Graduate School Committee (IGSC).
Other applicants may be admitted on conditions that they receive approval from the PSU Interdisciplinary Graduate School Board.
2. The applicant must submit a TOEFL or an IELTS score.
Have completed all required courses of the curriculum.
Have passed the qualifying examination.
Have passed the thesis proposal defense.
Have passed the thesis final defense.
Have the thesis published or have obtained acceptance of publication for 2 papers, where the first paper has to be in a journal listed in the ISI database with the first author and the paper has to be in a journal listed in the Scopus database.
Have satisfied one of the following English proficiency requirements:
IELTS test score 6.0 or higher overall for the Academic Test or
TOEFL test score:
- For the TOEFL IBT 78 or higher or
- For the TOEFL Paper-Delivered Testing:
- Reading 13 or higher, and
- Listening 15 or higher, and
- Writing 22 or higher
- For the TOEFL ITP:
- Listening Comprehension 55 or higher, and
- Structure & Written Expression 63 or higher, and
- Reading Comprehension 56 or higher
CU-TEP score not less than 80
PSU-TEP score not less than 73
- The applicant must hold
- a bachelor’s degree within the 1st quartile or
- a graduate certificate with cumulative GPA not less than 3.75 or
- a graduate diploma with cumulative GPA not less than 3.50 or
- a master’s degree with cumulative GPA not less than 3.50 or
- must have a senior project or research study with very good quality.
- All above must be obtained from universities approved by the PSU Interdisciplinary Graduate School Committee (IGSC).
- Other applicants may be admitted on conditions that they receive approval from the PSU Interdisciplinary Graduate School Board.
- The applicant must submit a TOEFL or an IELTS score.
- A statement of purpose and CV. The statement of purpose should contain the followings.
- Your general information.
- Your purpose in graduate study.
- The area of study in which you wish to specialize.
- Your future use of your graduate study, your career goals.
- Your special preparation and fitness for study in the field. Your academic background, extracurricular experiences/achievements, and awards.
- Any problems or inconsistencies in your academic records. Indicate the areas that are your weak points or those needed improvement.
- The reasons you wish to attend ESSAND.
- An official transcript of academic records is required from each university you have attended. You are responsible for requesting the transcript(s) from the relevant University. Transcripts must be enclosed in an official SEALED envelope with its flap bearing the security seal of the university and the signature of the Registrar or representative. Graduates from PSU can submit copies of their result slips or transcripts.
- Applicants whose native tongue AND medium of university instruction is not completely in English have to submit the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) as evidence of their proficiency in the English language. TOEFL/IELTS scores are valid for two (2) years from the test date. If it has been more than two years since you last took the test, you must take it again to have the scores reported.
- Recommendations from two academic referees are to be submitted to email@example.com You should check with your referees and obtain their institutional email address. Email addresses from domains other than “.edu” may be subject to additional screening and filtering. Alternatively, recommendations from your referees can be submitted via hardcopy. You should request your referees to return the recommendation form in a SEALED envelope, with its opening bearing their signatures across it.
- A copy of recent photograph of 1”x1” size
- A copy of citizen ID card/passport
- Please submit a copy of each of your publication(s), if any.
- International applicants who are not applying for our Research Scholarship or have indicated their wish to be considered for admission in the event that their Research Scholarship application is unsuccessful, must submit documentary evidence of their ability to support their study (e.g. a bank statement) indicating the availability of funding of at least 360,000 Thai Baht or its equivalent for the M.Phil. program and at least 540,000 Thai Baht or its equivalent for the D.Phil. program. Applicants who are sponsored by an individual or organization will need to submit a letter from the sponsor with details/documentary proof of the sponsorship.
The tuition fee per semester is 90,000 Thai Baht for each semester and is charged for 2 semester per year, the total tuition fee for this programme is 540,000 Thai Baht (for 6 semesters) and 720,000 Thai Baht (for 8 semesters). The tuition fee for summer semester is not charged.